The ever-increasing functionality and usability of smartphones are giving rise to some important concerns regarding device security and anonymity. People mostly prefer using streaming platforms on smartphones, for instance, I prefer using Netflix on my Android Phone.
But without a VPN, I faced various security issues and other concerns including geo-restrictions. Thanks to the latest VPN versions, most of the services are offering mobile VPN Apps for Android smartphones. Today, I will show you the easy way to set up a VPN on Android Phone. Before that, it is important to see why you need to install a VPN on Android Phone.
Why Install a VPN on Android Phone?
Conventionally, the VPN services meant for desktops and laptops. But the cord-cutting trends gave rise to the use of VPN for FireSticks, Smart TVs, and other streaming platforms. Today, Android Smartphones are capable of performing anything from video conversation to fast video streaming and it has become possible because of the mobile Apps. After all, the mobile device also uses the internet connection and where there is an internet connection, vulnerabilities come along.
Like other devices connected to the internet, it is important to protect your Android phone from security vulnerabilities and possible breaches. For instance, most of us like to connect our smartphones with public WiFi connections and this is where the phone becomes relatively easily accessible to hackers. This is why you need to use the trusted VPN service to protect data on your smartphone, stay anonymous, and maintain privacy when using the internet.
Best VPN for Android Phone
Various VPN services have their Apps on Google’s Play Store. I have tried different versions and came to the conclusion that iPVanish App is the best VPN for Android Phone.
You can easily install the application in seconds and set it up to start working. The following are the reasons why iPvanish is the best VPN in 2019.
IPVanish desktop applications for several operating systems, including Linux, macOS, and Windows. The VPN uses its popular CyberSec protects your device from malware threats, by blocking the detected websites that could be harmful and could pose a threat to the users.
- Free Trial
IPVanish gives all its amazing services and features for 7 days to its new users for free to access! You can withdraw from the trial in case you are not pleased with the services. All the subscribers for this VPN are allowed to use these services on 6 different devices at a time and are also provided with encrypted proxy extensions for numerous browsers like Chrome and FireFox.
- Customer Support
The customer support representatives at IPVanish are helpful and are always there to fix any complications that you are facing with the VPN. This application also has a great feature for virtual tourists, that let you link with servers in up to 60 countries around the globe due to its huge network.
The VPN has a remote server to encrypt all the information from the users and hide the IP addresses so third-party websites cannot access it. IPVanish makes use of military-grade IKEv2 and OpenVPN technologies to encrypt the data of its users to ensure unidentified browsing.
In IPVanish, the SmartPlay technology allows you to access over 400 geo-restricted streaming facilities like Amazon Prime, BBC, Netflix, and many many more. It also has mobile apps for Android TV and for devices running on iOS and Android. Many VPNs have a tendency to face difficulties working with Netflix because it someway cracks the IPs that belong to specific VPNs. As they have many servers, you do not have to be concerned about dealing with this issue with this VPN.
Setting Up a VPN on Android Phone
- First you need to install the VPN application on the Android Phone. After signing up, you need to use your credentials (username/password) to subscribe to the service.
- The next step with most of the Apps is the specification of the server location. Some Apps are recommended using the default server option. In any case, you have the option to select the preferred location and then tap on the Connect button. At this stage, some VPN will show the message confirming that the connection is now protected by encryption.
Setting Up OpenVPN on Android Phone (without App)
Some VPN services don’t have an Android App. In this case, you need to make sure that the particular VPN service is compatible with the OpenVPN protocol.
- Note down the username/password and any additional credentials of your VPN account because you will have to insert this information manually.
- Note down the IP address of the server you are using.
- Go to the Settings on your Android Phone and search for the options by typing VPN
- Select the option VPN to access the VPN menu
- Now you need to tap on the + button to add the new VPN. Insert name and select PPTP (VPN Type)
- Now select the option Always on VPN if you want to keep the VPN ON all the time.
- Tap on Show advance options where you need to specify the DNS server.
- Tap Save to lock VPN settings.
Using a VPN on Android Phone is a good idea as it serves as a reliable additional protective shield. But don’t forget that the VPN Apps don’t protect the Tethered (Hotspot) connections.